.

The Compact, Folgers, and Jesus  

Posted by Ryan Woods in

We're done! We did it! It's finished!
That's right folks, if you don't follow my twitter or facebook status updates then you won't know that Jessica and I completed our commitment to The Compact. If you haven't read what I've written about it in the past then just know that it was a commitment to not buy anything new for 2008 (there are a few exceptions like underwear and such).

I'll be honest and say that we broke the compact a couple of times. We've got some family members who would have found a used Christmas present offensive, we needed a few art/craft supplies to make some gifts, etc. But in general the biggest problem to this whole Compact thing for us was that we just forgot about it. After a while we got so out of the habit of going to stores or looking to purchase things that we forgot that it was even a commitment that we had made. It became a moot point really. Another problem was the amount of money that we spent at Goodwill. Goodwill is terrible if you go there looking for one specific item, but if you show up looking for a great deal it's amazing what you can find. Virtually all of Jones' Christmas pressents were from Goodwill and they were all amazing deals. Jeans at Goodwill are expensive, used Duplos are not.

If you are wanting a challenge for 2009 I highly suggest joining The Compact. It has changed Jessica and I. We are not the same. While we have had absolutly no discussion as to if we are going to continue the challenge over 2009 (sick kids have slowed down our discussion a bit) I have no doubt that The Compact has played a part in transforming how we view stuff, money, shopping, used things, giving, and gifts.

Through The Compact I feel that I've learned that I don't need things. Most of the things I "need" seem to fade away if I stop thinking about them for a week. I've learned that you can find nearly anything used or recycled if you're patient. I've learned that even if you don't buy your kids toys they can still have a playroom overrun with toys! I've learned to not throw things out as quickly. That scrap of wood from that broken desk could make a perfect...(fill in the blank)...I've learned that advertizing sucks. It teaches me to think that I'm unhappy and that your product will make me happy. Regarding that idea I'm still in the process of evaluating how that idea of advertizing has affected my view of Jesus. Isn't the gospel (good news) more than just a product to be advertized? Think about it, doesn't the general "Jesus pitch" go a little something like this:

You're life is incomplete. You're lacking purpose, hope, peace, etc. You've got a god-shaped hole in your life that only one thing can fill. And that one thing is the message of Jesus...etc. etc. etc.


Isn't that the same thing that Folgers tells me? Folgers says:
You had a terrible night. You couldn't sleep, you just tossed and turned all night. And now it's morning and the last thing you want to do is wake up. Work is going to be stressfull today and that terrible alarm won't leave you alone! Life is miserable! You're lacking energy, joy, and peace! You know what you need? You need that wonderful smell of Folgers coffee. The moment you smell that coffee you smile, get out of bed, see your wife downstairs holding a steaming cup of coffee and you know instantly that you've found what you're looking for.


I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm uncomfortable with the observation!

One final thought...Renovatus is just starting up our first Financial Peace University course and we're going to have 30 people crammed in a little coffee shop on 164th! How awesome is that?!?!

1 additions to the conversation

Honestly, I can't imagine you guys OFF the compact... Its like you've always been the way you are...

but I would like to be able to go to Target with your wife once in a while if you don't mind...

Post a Comment

Author

My photo
I am uncertain what to call myself, but my family and I are committed to the people of downtown Vancouver, WA. We are followers of Christ and hope to be a part of a movement of hope, imagination, and transformation in our developing downtown community.

Find Me

Ryan Woods's Facebook profilea
    follow me on Twitter

    Want to receive email updates concerning our ministry? Subscribe to our newsletter:

    Email:

    Support our work with Renovatus

    $
    Check this out if you want to know more about our work

    Stalkers

    Bloggers I Like

    Archives