.

Oh Richard!  

Posted by Ryan Woods


I've got bad news folks! My wife and I have been searching the Social Security Administration web page only to find out that Richard (aka, Dick) is still the 93rd most popular name in America! Do you know what this means? It means that there are thousands and thousands of loving parents/mothers who nametheirr child Dick! Something is wrong with America today.

5 additions to the conversation

Just think what the guy was like WHO was the model for the way that name is used today!! ewwwwww

http://www.explodingdog.com/ january2/iamnotansweringmyphone.html


I'm pretty sure this is a picture of Brent. But maybe that's just me.

Richard is ok. Rich is ok. But why would anyone, in this day and age, choose to call *themselves* Dick? That's the real question here. People aren't named Dick, they choose to be Dick. Why. Why Dick Butkis? Why?

YAY! Ryan wrote a name-related post! I must be wearing off on him.

What's really sad about the issue is this: I'll bet you big money that a good share of those poor little tykes are named after their fathers. What kind of ego does it take to go through life being called "Dick" every day, all day long, and then saddle your tiny, innocent son with the same name? Where's the love? Furthermore, where's the logic? Is it like that song, "A Boy Named Sue," where they give 'em the name to toughen them up? That's the only thing I can think of. It's child abuse if you ask me. But so is naming your kid Pilot Inspector or Jermajesty, and Jason Lee and Jermaine Jackson are still roaming free.

I think that Little Dick is actually Diana Ross. Or maybe Diana is Dick. I dunno, but I think they are the same person. Could you compare those two? nope. I'm gonna do it.

the sad thing is that i like the name richard. i wish you could make your kid somehow nickname immune. like some sort of name forcefield that when people hear it their brain cannot form a nickname. one of my kids is VERY nicknamable with a nickname i hate, and i'm dreading the day.

and no, i didn't name my daughter richard.

Post a Comment

Author

My photo
I am uncertain what to call myself, but my family and I are committed to the people of downtown Vancouver, WA. We are followers of Christ and hope to be a part of a movement of hope, imagination, and transformation in our developing downtown community.

Find Me

Ryan Woods's Facebook profilea
    follow me on Twitter

    Want to receive email updates concerning our ministry? Subscribe to our newsletter:

    Email:

    Support our work with Renovatus

    $
    Check this out if you want to know more about our work

    Stalkers

    Bloggers I Like

    Archives