.

Christian Rock?  

Posted by Ryan Woods


I will never know. And it will never matter. Because I refuse to look past my biases. Thats just the way it is.

You may only remember him from Backstreet Boys, but Brian Littrell has finally accomplished what his heart has always desired...a solo Christian album. Is he pulling a Cartman? For if you remember, this exact thing happened on SouthPark. I think it went a little something like this...

Kyle: We have to define our style if we're ever going to make a platinum album. I mean, I'm a fusion guy, but Kenny's background is more Latin Jazz.
Stan: Yeah, and I'm more hip-hop and R-and-B oriented.
[Cartman paces the floor with arms behind his back]
Kyle: I think out band better buy a whole bunch of music CDs to listen to for inspiration.
Cartman: [stops] Inspiration. Wait a minute, [turns right and walks away from them] that's it. Inspiration, you guys. Don't you see?

Stan: See what?
Cartamn: [turns around] Our band should play Christian rock! [beams with pride]
Kyle: Christian rock?!
Cartman: [races back to the band] Think about it! It's the easiest crappiest music in the world, right? If we just play songs about how much we love Jesus, all the Christian will buy our crap!
Kyle: That's a retarded idea, Cartman!
Cartman: [protests, takes a step towards Kyle] It worked for Creed!
Stan: I don't wanna be in a stupid Christian rock band!
Cartman: [steps towards Stan] You just start that way, Stan, then you cross over. It's genius!
Kyle: [pointing to an exit] Just get the hell out of here, Cartman! You're not serious and you're a detriment to the band!
Cartman: Oh yeah?! I will bet you ten bucks that if I start a Christian rock band that I can get a platinum album before you guys do!
Kyle: You're on, fat boy!
Cartman: Okay, fine! Ready?! First one to have a platinum album wins! Go! [runs out as fast as his fat little body will let him, and pants]
Kyle: [after a few seconds of watching the door] What a stupid asshole!


15 additions to the conversation

I have had a theory about christian music for a while, that if they can cross over into mainstream (Creed being the exception) that they have to actually be a good band. Cause I have felt that to be a christian music artist, the cometition isnt that tough, and its true what south park says, if you sing about Jesus, christian will buy. So i've decided to start a christian band, what to join? anyone? anyone? no? crap.

Remember in the mid-nineties, when there was not even as big of a christian music market as today, and pretty much anyone could be a star? Let's all take a moment to remember...

Carmen
Petra
Steven Curtis Chapman (I know, he's still around, don't ask me why.)
Stryper
AVB (Steve's Favorite)
DC Talk
FFH

I had to go to Wikipedia to find these, and there were like 200 listed. Maybe even more. I had never heard of almost all of them. Who was listening to this stuff?

I think one of the problems with Christian rock is that Christians just aren't angsty and discontented enough to produce music edgy enough to appeal to rock fans. (Kind of the same principle that says that most happy poets aren't very good.) That's a good thing for the Christian artists themselves (you know, soul-wise), but a bad thing for their careers.

I've always felt a little guilty that I can't stand most Christian music--like I was letting the team down or something. I feel better knowing that other good Christians don't dig it, either.

Lisa, Sorry. The only reason I want to be in a band is so I have the license to skank it up and wear tight leopard-print mini-skirts and knee-high stilletto boots. Or maybe a red dress with fringe and cut-outs. Oh wait, that's what I wear to church! Heh heh.

I disagree. I think there are plenty of angsty and discontented christians out there....it's just that the "Christian" culture discourages any expression of that kind. In other words, it wouldn't sell, which is a shame because I bet that the secular culture would relate to that music more than the stupid Hallal type crap. If you listen to that, you start to think that we all have to be super cheesy happy all the time and wear white capri pants with hot pink heels and have over highlighted hair. Ok, that may have just been the ones in Edmond, Oklahoma.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything said in these here comments.
However
I wasn't trying to bring a movement of Christian music haters. I mean, listen to Shawn McDonalds first CD and tell me that it's not amazing. Or listen to a Kutless album (the earlier the better I think) and tell me that they don't have a pretty good sound. There is some good stuff out there, and I do actually listen to it...but the Backstreet boys guy? Thats the equivalent to when MC Hammer became a born again preacher. The similarity is that for both of them it doesn't really matter about sincerity or talent, it's just unnatural and wrong! You can't switch back and forth! Thats a major no no.

Are you talking about Amy Grant? Did she break your heart when she left her husband for Vince Gill, so now you're slinging mud at crossover artists?

I think Roni's probably on to something with her theory. I confess I really don't know enough about current Christian rock to expound on it. All I know is, I like rock--and Christian rock ain't rock. Whenever I stumble upon it, I can tell it's lame in 2 seconds flat, and it's on to a different station.

I have to say that, although there is amazing secular artist, I find myself having to figure out whether it's christian or not. I remember the days of trying to convince Phil and K.C that Petra was cool. That or Carman or Acapella... I'm with you, Roni. It did not take very long for the christian stuff to explode(in a good way).
Lisa can I be in your band? I have this great song I've been wanting to put out called Jesus loves the f*cking little children. ( Hey, I only did that cause Arwin way crossed the line.)

I once listened to Christian . . . umm . . . I just can't bring myself to call it rock. I was content. That was before I grew up, before life dragged me face-down across the figurative hot coals and broken glass.

I then realized (many years before I worked for a Christian music distribution company) that most of the Christian music we hear is really very shallow.

Have these people everread the Psalms? Well they sure didn't read 13(my favorite) or 88 (the one with which Bruggemann seems obsessed). They didn't read Job either, or Jeremiah or Micah or James or I & II Peter, or just about any other biblical literature, though they almost always claim to believe in it. I've met athiests who read and understood scripture better . . .

Okay, sorry . . . pet peeve . . . I'm okay now; I'll post about it sometime.

Christian artists tend to avoid singing about life.

Oooo, how about Christian musics obsession with worship music! Has anyone noticed that every single band/singer is now coming out with a worship album? In some way does that seem like they're pandering to AMerican evangelicals?

i blogged about this once and started quite a discussion . . . check it out.

Christian music is probably 99% crap. I work in a place that sells such things and most of it is pretty horrible - Gaither-what? The stuff I like is the stuff that is edgy and psalms-like. For a more folksy-James-Taylor-esque sound, Chris Rice has some good lyrics that aren't always easy or cheery.

I think I like it more when I find Christian themes in "secular" music (I hate that term so much as if the tripe on KLOVE is somehow sacred, bah). Just one example pops in my head: My Tournaquet by Evenessence has great Christian themes, but is full of doubt, angst, and real life.

So, here's a side thought, if Christians are told that they always have to pretend like they are happy, then what are we being redeemed from?

bravo james wood, bravo!

I read an article a few weeks ago about a few churches (Methodist and Episcopalian, I think) that are doing something unusual to attract new members, particularly young people. They've put together a video program featuring several of U2's more spiritually-themed songs (Pride, Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, etc.) and they blast it out on Sunday nights. It's only a handful of churches right now, but the idea seems to be catching on.

I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, I love U2, and I love spreading the Gospel...but combining the two? Part of me says "whatever works." Part of me says "Bono is kind of a tool."

No matter what, it's gotta be better than Michael W. Smith.

I like what a old man friend of mine said. He said that he would get up on stage and jump up and down while patting his head, if that brought people to Jesus. This awesome church in Portland actually promoted and succesfully held a "Camp Song Sunday". It was a way to get people excited about the summer. They sang camp songs. At church. And it worked.
In other words, I guess if it works...who cares?
At the same time, no way in H-E-double hockey sticks am I going to do something that stupid...I hope.

james, I'm with you. james Taylor type stuff is my type and chris Rice has some great lyrics. I guess I'm not as pessimistic about christian music cause i only listen to good stuff. Why would I waste my time finding all the crappy stuff. I don't have the time!
Our radio station here plays a lot of casting Crowns but aside from the overplay, I like most of their lyrics and music. Chelan and I went to their concert along with Nicole Nordeman and all the people in the group attend the same church together, work in the youth ministry, and the lead is the youth dude. During the intermission they asked everyone involved in youth ministry to go to a meeting where they distributed material and info on curriculumetc. that they created... i like real life people like that...

Post a Comment

Author

My photo
I am uncertain what to call myself, but my family and I are committed to the people of downtown Vancouver, WA. We are followers of Christ and hope to be a part of a movement of hope, imagination, and transformation in our developing downtown community.

Find Me

Ryan Woods's Facebook profilea
    follow me on Twitter

    Want to receive email updates concerning our ministry? Subscribe to our newsletter:

    Email:

    Support our work with Renovatus

    $
    Check this out if you want to know more about our work

    Stalkers

    Bloggers I Like

    Archives